Thursday, January 8, 2015

Breaking news... (wow did this sound familiar)

I got a Google Alert based on my "Solar PVT" find criteria. Usually it just gets me new solar companies that have PVT in their names... but today a jackpot instead.

A beam-splitting photovoltaic thermal receiver for solar concentrators

A photovoltaic thermal receiver that separates incoming light energy by wavelength can produce electricity and thermal output of 150° simultaneously.
 I know! Right? This is what I am talking about. Right down to the 150C heat... The full story.

Then some more digging (god bless the internet - nearly instant satisfaction on things like this)

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876610214003348

Pretty neat stuff. But not a spork-killer I think... only 10 to 20 X concentration and so it has high silicon content and everything they have is at minimum 20 to 40 times as big and materially/coatings intensive as my design... I'm not sure how they see commercial viability. (I hope they do see it as we are all looking for the pay-no-pay line.)

It looks like they might be working with Chromasun. That would be interesting. 

I have to dive into that second paper tomorrow or Saturday as it has the meat... but I thought I'd share as soon as I saw it.

If you read it let me know what you make of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment